Wednesday, March 14, 2012

3.14.12


Well Hello!

I hope all is well with you! Just to preface, I am enjoying a wonderful semester at Johnson County Community College (hopefully going to nursing school in the fall!) and am loving serving and leading worship at my church, Family of Faith here in Kansas, as well as surrounding myself with precious people God continues to bring into my life.

If you know me well at all, you know that missions has always been in my heart and much to my excitement, I followed that calling all the way to Uganda last summer! I had little idea of how much those two weeks would change my life. I helped build schools and remodel orphanages, I laughed and cried with reformed prostitutes, I fed the slum children, kissed their dirty faces, held sick orphans, and most of all, loved like Jesus did till my heart broke. And it was wonderful. Somewhere along the line as I shared Jesus, I saw Him in their beautiful copper-colored faces and found something I was drowning without: Hope. And I knew the moment the plane left the Ugandan ground, I had to get back. 

As I sat a few months ago, I thought very hard about how to get back to my people in Africa (after all, Jesus isn’t done with them yet). Just then, I was contacted by a family from the team I went with last year who is putting their own team together and they asked if I wanted to join. You can bet I jumped on it! This being said, I’m happy to announce that I will be returning to my beloved Africa July 5-20! I will be staying in the same place in Kampala as last year and will be working in orphanages and feeding programs in the slums, etc. What an honor!
As excited as I am to be going, I’m excited to inform you that you can be involved as well! As with last year, there are two areas in which I need assistance.

First, you can pray for me, the team, and my two friends who are going with me. We will need prayer that God will prepare the hearts of the Ugandan people to receive the Gospel and the love we plan to show them. It is no secret that we are in a spiritual battle and the Enemy would much rather us not go spread the freedom of Jesus and will do what he can to prevent it. But we know we are more than conquerors and when we are in the will of God; even darkness trembles. We will also need prayers that our financial needs will be met; that there would be an attitude of generosity among Christ’s church.

Another way you can be involved in this mission is to help provide that financial support. I have $3000 to raise; $1950 needs to be raised by May to pay for the airline tickets and the other $1050 by June 1st. Would you consider supporting me with a small donation? Even the smallest amount is a massive help. I know last year, I was astonished and humbled by the generosity you all displayed and was brought to tears many times. You all are so generous and the perfect picture of true friends. If you should decide to support financially, please make checks out to Cristina McAllen.

Whether you can contribute financially, through prayer, or even both, all of your support is truly appreciated. Though I suppose every trip is daunting, I will not give up on my calling. Spreading the Gospel isn’t just the reason for this trip. It’s the reason I breathe.

Thank you so much for reading this letter and spending time with my thoughts! I look forward to doing God's work in Uganda and letting you know all about how God has worked through His team when I return in July!

Love, Sarah Slankard 

No comments: