Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Story Time - Hot Stuff

You know how I feel sometimes? If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all....

Even aside from the many flights that got delayed/canceled/missed on this trip, the sickness, etc., the airline lost my bag. With all my belongings. All my work clothes, all my soaps, shoes, underwears (or as April would say: Da-DUN-da-duns), everything (except the bag with all the Beanies and food for the kids. That came in perfect condition that would happen to me)!

I say all this to say: half of our activities were manual labor. I had no work clothes. I had jeggings, a dress shirt, a team shirt, and a pair of very cute shoes (and by day four of wearing them, I inevitably had some beautiful blisters).

"Oh hey guys, looks like I don't have work clothes. Guess I'll just sit in the shade and watch you all sweat and toil,"

First thing's first: I had to get some shoes! So we stopped in one of the shacks by the street, which wasn't exactly safe...I had to hold our leader, Dwight's hand to cross the street! By the end of our haggling, we paid about ten dollars for a pair of very used shoes - tying the laces made my hands quite dirty....but I didn't complain; I was legitimately very grateful to have a pair of shoes, even without socks.

In the van on the way to the work site, I put my shoes on, joking it up with the team the whole time. A few moments later, as we're driving, Dwight pulls the socks off his own feet and hands them to me! "I've only worn these a couple hours," he told me, "but at least I know where they've been; I don't know where those shoes have been!" We all laughed and I put them on, again, legitimately thankful.

Oh, remember what I said about bad luck? Well as I moved in my seat on the way from the shoe shack to the work site, I noticed I could barely move....my pants were caught on a sharp metal piece in the seat and it RIPPED A HOLE IN MY PANTS! *Sigh*

Wanna see the finished product of the jegging/massive shirt/man-sock/shoe combo?


Hot, huh? You know, I do what I can.

When I tell this story, I do ham it up and joke around as if I'm the victim but in all seriousness, I am so grateful for the people (who barely knew me!) who came around and bought me those shoes, gave me their socks, let me borrow outfits and work shirts and pretty much let me mooch off of them for the week and a half where I basically didn't own anything. I was painfully humbled and am still amazed by the generosity and all around kindness of my team members. I love them all and miss them dearly.....

No comments: