Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Story Time - The Slums of Kivulu

Perhaps one of my favorite days was the day we went to the slums. I can't even give you one specific reason why.

Have you ever just looked around and thought to yourself, "Yes, this is where I was meant to be for this moment"? If so, you know how I felt that day...

First we met the children and played with them.


Then we walked with the children up to a field to play futbol. Kasim, an older boy who I don't have a picture of, held my hand all the way there and we asked each other questions and had a wonderful time.

When we got there, the boys warmed up for the big game. They don't mess around with their futbol.

While some played, others, like myself, painted their faces.

Then they painted us.

After the game, we all walked back down and we fed them beans a rice and gave a sermon. Can you spot the cross?


At one point, one of the little boys came up to me and we started dancing. After a while, he looked at me and said in his adorable Ugandan accent, "Sarah, you're my sister". I smiled happily and told him to always remember he had a sister all the way in America and that I would never forget...


I don't know his name (no one could understand the pronunciation), but I will never forget my brother, or my friend Kasim, or beautiful Grace, or any of the other children in the Slums of Kivulu.....

1 comment:

glocal.dan said...

I was actually today in the very place you took these photos :) I take it you are familiar with A Perfect Injustice?